So every week I look for new lunch recipes that I can make on a Sunday that will last me the entire week that our healthy and delicious both hot and cold. I am not always successful but this week I managed it! I took a couple of different recipes for this and combined them into my own healthy and delicious lunch. Increase or decrease the amounts depending on how many days you want to make it for.
Ingredients – serves 4
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Chicken stock pot
- 200g Bulgur Wheat
- 50g Pistachio Nuts
- 1 bunch of fresh Mint
- 2 bunches of fresh flat-leaf Parsley
- 4 Spring Onions
- 4 ripe Tomatoes
- 2 Lemons
- Pomegranate Seeds (if you can get them already in a packet otherwise buy a pomegranate and deseed)
- ½ tsp. Sumac
Method – takes about 30-45 mins
For the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a large pot and cover withe the chicken stock pot and water. Be sure to cover the entire chicken.
- Bring to boil on a medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Allow chicken to cook until heated through (this takes between 15-30 mins. 15 for 3 chicken breasts and 20 for 6 chicken breasts).
- Shred the chicken and leave aside to cool.
For the salad:
- Put the bulgur wheat into a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Pop into a large pan of salted water. Bring to to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 mins. Drain and leave to cool.
- Dry heat in a frying pan over medium heat. Toast the pistachios for a few minutes then roughly chop them add to a large bowl.
- Pick off the mint and parsley leaves, discarding the stalks and finely chop the herbs and add to the bowl.
- Trim the spring onions, then roughly chop them along with the tomatoes. Add to the bowl with the lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of olive oil and good pinch of salt and pepper. Toss together well.
- Use the fork to mix up the bulgur wheat. Add to the bowl along with the shredded chicken and mix well. Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge ready for when you need it.